I know some of you enjoy reading and learning more about therapy dogs so I thought I’d share some ideas with you. I’ve just finished reading “Joy Unleashed: the story of Bella, the Unlikely Therapy Dog” by Jean Baur: a very readable and moving story about a mutt who changes lives.
A few other titles that have come my way are:
- “A Dog Walks into a Nursing Home: Lessons in the Good Life from an Unlikely Teacher” by Sue Halpern
- “The Possibility Dogs” by Susannah Charleson
- “Healing Companions: Ordinary Dogs and Their Extraordinary Power to Transform Lives” by Jane Miller.
- “Therapy Dogs: Training Your Dog to Reach Others” by Kathy Diamond.
- “Angel on a Leash: Therapy Dogs and the Lives They Touch” by David Frei.
- “A dog Who’s Always Welcome: Assistance and Therapy Dog Trainers Teach You How to Socialize and Train Your Companion Dog” by Lorie Long.
- “The Power of Wagging Tails: A Doctor’s Guide to Dog Therapy and Healing” by Dawn Marcus.
- “Therapy Dogs Today: Their Gifts, Our Obligation” by Kris Butler.
- “Every Dog Has a Gift: true stories of dogs who bring hope and healing into our lives” by Rachael McPherson.
If you come across other books about therapy dogs and the work they do, please feel free to share with our group.